Letter Template to Departments of Public Health
Re: Committee on Analysis of Cancer Risks in Populations Near Nuclear Facilities: Request for Information on Public Concerns Related to Nuclear Power Plants and Other Nuclear Facilities
I am writing to request information from your Department on reported public health concerns related to living near a nuclear power plant or other nuclear facilities. This information will be used in support of a study being carried out by the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Committee on Analysis of Cancer Risks in Populations near Nuclear Facilities at the request of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The Statement of Task and background information related to the study are provided in the attachment.
I would appreciate information related to the Statement of Task and in particular on the following issues if they apply to your Department:
- Reports from members of the public on health concerns or suspected health effects related to nuclear power plants or nuclear fuel-cycle facilities in their communities.
- Reports from physicians or other health care providers concerning suspected disease clusters that could be due to the releases from these facilities.
- Assessments of cancer risks in association with nuclear facilities that were carried out by your Department.
- Other individual or organized activities that have been undertaken
by your Department in response to environmental monitoring or health surveillance programs.
- Interactions between your Department and communities around nuclear facilities to solicit feedback on potential health concerns.
Any information you provide to us by September 15, 2011, will be considered in support of the study. Please note that all written information that you provide will be included in the Public Access File for this study.
If you have questions about this request or would prefer to respond by phone I would be happy to contact you. I can be reached at email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: (202)-334-3066.