Skip to main content

Currently Skimming:

Appendix C: Brief History of the Plum Island Animal Disease Center
Pages 123-126

The Chapter Skim interface presents what we've algorithmically identified as the most significant single chunk of text within every page in the chapter.
Select key terms on the right to highlight them within pages of the chapter.

From page 123...
... During those years, diagnosis of foot-and-mouth disease was based on experimental animal inoculations in affected areas in the field. No laboratory work with foot-and-mouth disease virus was permitted in the United States after the eradication of the last cases in 1929.
From page 124...
... had established a robust research program on foot-and-mouth disease and other foreign animal diseases through cooperative agreements with foreign laboratories, particularly those at the Foot-and-Mouth Disease Research Institute in Pirbright, England; the State Veterinary Research Institute in Amsterdam, Holland; the Danish Foot-and-Mouth Disease Research Institute in Lindholm, Denmark; and the Swiss Federal Vaccine Institute in Basel. Each of those laboratories hosted one or two USDA scientists.
From page 125...
... Fort Terry had been in use by the Army since 1897 as an artillery coastal defense post. Eighteen buildings from the Fort Terry days were renovated by the Army Chemical Corps, including the Combined Torpedo Storehouse and Cable Tanks (circa 1911)
From page 126...
... In December 1994, an agreement was set in place to share leadership responsibility of PIADC by having the directorship cycle between ARS and APHIS every 5 years or on another agreed timetable. That agreement was never implemented, and ARS continued to provide the director until the transfer of PIADC to the newly formed DHS in June 2003.

This material may be derived from roughly machine-read images, and so is provided only to facilitate research.
More information on Chapter Skim is available.